How does this effect Marina?
WHY YOU SHOULD CARE...
about the Monterey Peninsula Water Supply Project (MPWSP) Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) and the proposed Cal Am Slant Wells?
- Cal Am has no water rights in the Salinas Valley Groundwater Basin.
- Cal Am has over pumped it's Carmel River watershed and has over-drafted the Seaside aquifer. Should the for-profit company be given approval to foul another groundwater basin?
- Slant wells for desalination have NEVER BEEN SUCCESSFULLY USED TO PROVIDE DRINKING WATER TO CUSTOMERS IN THE ENTIRE USA. We will all be guinea pigs to an unproven technology.
- Cal Am has failed to prove "no harm" to local ground water as required by law.
- Subsurface Slant Wells for desalination require groundwater to operate and this project will tap into the 180 and 400 foot aquifer that Marina Coast Water uses to serve its customers.
- Cal Am uses sloppy science to show that slant well subsurface pumping will not cause further sea water intrusion in the SVG basin.
- There is no fall back plan mentioned in the DEIR when damage is inflicted to the 33,000 people who rely on Marina Coast Water District for safe, affordable water.
- No water rights
- Salt intrusion
- Water rates will go up for everyone
- Slant well failures will be billed to Cal Am customers
- There will be years of litigation